Saturday, January 15, 2022

In 1962 my father took my brother and I to Gettysburg.  Living in Michigan, and my parents being of very modest means, this was a major event, and one that I still marvel that my parents were able to pull off, financially.

The trip thrilled me, Gettysburg and the Civil War enthralled me, and I remain keenly interested in the American Civil War, and especially, Civil War toy soldiers.  This trip happened the same year that my parents gave me the Marx Giant Blue and Gray playset. 

That trip, and those little plastic soldiers, and my parents enthusiasm about nurturing my interest in history, led in a direct line to the career that I retired from, and the one that I found most worthy. My parents would have been so proud of me.

 I will always be grateful to them. 

Take your boys and girls to historic places...


you never know were the road will lead them.


Soldier on!

Retired Ranger Mannie




2 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Really enjoyed this post. Trips to the museum and Hadrian’s wall with my father as a boy left me with a life long interest in the Romans.

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

A marvelous tale - youv'e hardly changed : )