Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Man at work: a toy soldier studio project

Last month, out in the toy soldier studio, I built this clutter-concealing cabinet.


 with that, I proclaimed the toy soldier studio finished and complete; and then...


my eyes fell upon this corner...a riot of clutter and cast-off furniture.  It was time to get to work and actually finish the space.

The first step was to clear the corner.


The work began in earnest.  Usually I like to make use of salvaged materials that I have lying around, left over from previous projects, but when I went to the woodshed...the well was dry, so it was off to the home improvement store.

The goal was to build a workbench with an under-the-counter cabinet with sliding doors.  The bench surface was specifically built to acommodate a large self-healing cutting mat.



The toughest calculation of the whole project was designing a cut-out to fit around the existing window sill.


Getting the thing into place took three hands, unfortunately, I only have two.  Cleats screwed to the walls made the process much easier.



I made a very robust corner leg as the main support.  Every thing was level, square, and plumb...unfortunately, as I went along, I found that the shed itself was none of those things.




Everything was screwed together except for two small contact points which I glued.






Next came the wainscot and sliding doors. 



Before:


After:



I'm very happy with the results.



Two weekends well spent...now it's time to relax in my favorite place, surrounded by some of my favorite things.

Until next time...

Soldier on!

Mannie



No comments: