Friday, October 13, 2023

W. Britain "Chosen Ground" set no.2 - 31074; a closer look


I've been building up my Iron Brigade.  I'm four figures shy of having two regiments of 50-men each.  The two regiments are made of either advancing troops or firing -line poses.  My 24th Michigan are the advancers and my 2nd Wisconsin are the shooters.  I've been building this Brigade for about four years now - each payday has chipped away at the task.

At first, my Iron Brigade was to be exclusively W. Britain soldiers, but to avoid too many duplicate poses, I've filled out the ranks with Conte, Collector's Showcase, and March Through Times (only pewter).  I am very happy with these other brands, which I will be examining in future posts.

As I went along it became harder to find new poses, luckily, occasionally some of Britains larger (and pricey-er) sets show up on ebay, and this is one of them.


"Chosen Ground"  is one of Britain's The Art of War offerings based upon the art of Keith Rocco.  I was lucky to find this retired set on ebay, and before I punched the "buy it now" button, I wanted more information about it.  The sellers photos weren't of much value, and Britians has the same stock photo of the set that shows little detail or the character of each soldier.

I found this a little frustrating....and I figure that others might too.

So, think of this as a public service message..."try it before you buy it" sort of thing.  On this (and future posts)  I will be showing expanded views of all of the set commponents from various angles, in hopes that as an identifier, it will be handy for other 54mm campaigners who need to do some recruiting. 

Here is the walk-around:


WBCW 205/206 (c) 2010




WBCW 209/210 (c) 2010






WBCW 41 (c) 2006








WBCW 186 (c) 2010




This advancing liettenant will have his back changed to read "24th Michigan."



This is a really handsome group And is part of the second-generation of superior sculpting and painting.

Until next time, continue to...

Soldier on!

Mannie

 

1 comment:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Beautiful lively figures , full of character.